Your Charter Flight to Samedan Airport: Serving St Moritz et Environs
Flying by business jet to Engadin Airport makes for an ideal arrival at Europe’s highest airport, with an elevation of over 1,700 metres. Located in beautiful Engadin valley in the village of Samedan, Engadin Airport is often referred to as Samedan Airport and is the closest airport to the stylish alpine resort town of St Moritz.
Engadin Airport History
The history of aviation in Engadin valley began some three decades before Engadin Airport opened. In 1909, German and British aviation pioneers operated the first test flights on the frozen St Moritz Lake. In the following years, further private flights in Engadin took place.
In 1938, the first passenger aircraft landed on the newly constructed airfield. Civil aviation in Samedan was suspended during the Second World War and the landing of passenger aircraft only resumed in 1950 after Engadin was taken over by the federal government. In 1976, the Swiss Air Ambulance obtained permission to use Engadin Airport as an operational base and to expand the airfield’s facilities.
On 6 December 2004, Engadin Airport AG took over operation of the airport and has steered the aerodrome’s fortunes ever since. A Zurich architecture firm won the competition to redesign the airport buildings in 2008 and was given the task of bringing the appearance and functionality of Samedan Airport into the 21st century. The new buildings are scheduled for completion in 2021 – but it is, of course, still possible to charter a flight to Samedan in the meantime.
Engadin Airport Location
Distance from Engadin Airport to:
- St Moritz: approx. 8 kilometres by car
- Sils im Engadin: approx. 22 kilometres by car
- Samedan Golf Course: approx. 1 kilometre by car
Passengers arriving by charter flight at Engadin Airport can conveniently continue their journey in a limousine directly upon landing – for instance, to one of the most attractive destinations in Engadin: the world-renowned spa and winter sports resort of St Moritz.
Hire a Private Jet to Engadin and Experience Legendary Luxury
There is no other place in the Alps that invokes as much longing, as many dreams and memories, as St Moritz. The Engadiner hotelier Johannes Badrutt is credited with inventing winter tourism in the middle of the 19th century. He made a bet with six British guests staying there in the summer, inviting them to come back for a winter holiday. If they could not enjoy the sun and tan on his terrace wearing summer clothing, he would cover all their travel costs. The guests accepted the bet and enjoyed a relaxing, balmy holiday in the middle of winter. When they came back from their trip, the satisfied guests spread the word in England. Since then, much has changed in St. Moritz, but three things have definitely remained the same:
- With more than 300 sunny days a year, the weather is still very mild.
- The dramatic mountains surrounding St Moritz continue to win over numerous holidaymakers.
- Johannes Badrutt’s name can still be found in St Moritz – his son founded the famous luxury hotel Badrutt’s Palace.
Numerous five-star hotels, high-end fashion boutiques, and exquisite restaurants have since been added, making St Moritz one of the most popular destinations for winter sports enthusiasts and guests with discerning tastes in terms of accommodation, cuisine and shopping, often arriving at Samedan Airport on charter flights.
However, the region offers much more to discover in addition to St Mortiz. The breathtaking nature of the Upper Engadine includes the village of Sils, which Hermann Hesse and Friedrich Nietzsche often visited, enjoying its beautiful location and pleasant climate. Visitors in the summer months can enjoy a round of golf directly at the airport against a beautiful backdrop before or after their business flight to or from Samedan Airport.
The following destinations are just a short business flight from Engadin:
- Engadin ✈ Zurich (LSZH / ZRH): approx. 40 minutes
- Engadin ✈ London Farnborough (EGLF / FAB): approx. 1 hour 35 minutes
- Engadin ✈ Geneva (LSGG / GVA): approx. 50 minutes
- Engadin ✈ Paris Le Bourget (LFPB / LBG): approx. 1 hour 10 minutes
- Engadin ✈ London Luton (EGGW / LTN): approx. 1 hour 40 minutes
Business jets from Samedan Airport offer excellent connections to European and Swiss cities. When you hire a private jet from Engadin, Zurich is a comfortable 40 minute flight, whereas Geneva is just slightly longer at 50 minutes. Charter flights from Engadin are an easy hour and a half to London and an hour and 15 minutes to Paris.
Services and Amenities at Engadin Airport
A charter flight to Engadin Airport is the travel means of choice for passengers with high expectations. Samedan Airport’s decades of experience in welcoming private jet clients is reflected by the outstanding services offered: a professional and reliable limousine service, high quality regional catering, personal passenger assistance, a discrete security service, and numerous technical services to prepare your private jet from Engadin for take off.
|Runway||Length and width||Surface|
|03/21||1,800 m x 40 m||Asphalt|
Book your charter flight to Engadin easily and conveniently online with JetApp. You can count on the JetApp experts to fulfil your wishes and answer any questions you may have. Simply choose your departure time and destination, and then enjoy your private flight to Engadin.
- Airport code: LSZS / SMV
- Altitude: 1,707 m (5,600 ft) above MSL
- Aircraft movements per year: approx. 15,000
- Aircraft types: all common aircraft and weight classes
- Runway operating hours: 8am to 7pm in summer, 8am to sunset in winter
- Runways: 1 (1,800 m)
- Zurich Airport (Switzerland)
- Farnborough Airport (UK)
- Geneva Airport (Switzerland)
- Paris Le Bourget Airport (France)
- London Luton Airport (UK)
- Nice Côte d’Azur Airport (France)
- Milan Linate Airport (Italy)
- Moscow Vnukovo Airport (Russia)
- Prague Airport (Czech Republic)
- London RAF Northolt Airport (UK)
- Buochs Airport (Switzerland)
- Cologne Bonn Airport (Germany)
- Vienna Airport (Austria)
- Basel Mulhouse Airport (France)
- St Gallen Altenrhein Airport (Switzerland)